University of Maryland Medical Center |Shock Trauma Critical Care Tower
The bi-directional expansion of the University of Maryland Medical Center focuses on increasing capacity for the R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, and the adjacent emergency and general surgery departments.
The project consists of:
• Eight floors of new clinical space
• An expansion of the Emergency Department from 63 to 75 treatment positions
• A new National Trauma Training Center with 7 simulation rooms
• Expansion of the Operating Suite with 10 new ORs (phasing out 5 existing)
• An expanded PACU by 14 positions
• 64 new ICU patient rooms for the shock trauma and surgical programs
• A new Stat Lab and expanded Central Sterile Processing
Earning LEED Gold certification, the design incorporates sustainable building materials, a high-performance envelope and energy-efficient building systems that benefit the entire campus.